Heartbreaking: Promising Rugby player Sam Ballard who was left paralysed after eating a slug as part of a dare – sadly passes away – TheLiberal.ie – Our News, Your Views
November 7, 2018

Heartbreaking: Promising Rugby player Sam Ballard who was left paralysed after eating a slug as part of a dare – sadly passes away

image
Image Source: Facebook

A young man who was left paralysed after eating a slug as part of a dare has sadly passed away at the age of 28.

Sam Ballard, from Sydney Australia, sadly passed away on Friday due to ongoing medical complications for the past eight years.

Mr Ballard who was a promising Rugby player was sadly left paralysed from the waist down after contracted a strain of meningitis known as eosinophilic meningoencephalitis back in 2010.

It is believed that Mr Ballard contracted the illness which left him in a coma for 420 days after he ate the slug which had rat lungworm as part of a dare whilst attending a party with his friends.

Although many people are known to recover from the illness, Mr Ballard sadly became seriously ill after he suffered a severe infection on his brain.

Mr Ballard who became a paraplegic was left using a wheelchair after he was paralysed from the waist down.

It is reported in the Australian press that Mr Ballard sadly passed away surrounded by his family and friends on Friday.

Share this story

Get the latest news from TheLiberal.ie via Facebook.
Just click Like

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page