Offending a Gender: World’s first ‘man free’ music festival is found guilty of discrimination – TheLiberal.ie – Our News, Your Views
January 15, 2019

Offending a Gender: World’s first ‘man free’ music festival is found guilty of discrimination

Image: Stock Photo

The world’s first man free music festival has been found guilty of discrimination according to the Discrimination Ombudsman.

According to reports in Sweden the so called ‘Statement’ event which was held last August was in violation of anti-discrimination laws after organisers advertised the event as ‘man free’ on their website.

The event which was held in Gothenberg, became the subject of widespread attention after organisers held the event for women, non-binary and transgender people.

Although men weren’t technically refused entry to the event, the Discrimination Ombudsman said it was discriminatory as it was advertised as a non-male event and all male personnel supporting the acts involved were placed in a so called ‘man pen’.

Although organisers will not be punished, the Discrimination Ombudsman press officer Clas Lundstedt, said the actions of organisers prior to the event were in violation of the law.

However no punishment will be enforced as no official complaints were made and it would be difficult to prove if someone had been discriminated against, Lundstedt added.

It is understood the non-male festival was organised following reports of a sharp rise in sexual offences at festivals across Europe in recent years.

Share this story

Get the latest news from TheLiberal.ie via Facebook.
Just click Like

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page