Toddler’s eyes get accidently glued shut when nursery worker did her nails while holding him – TheLiberal.ie – Our News, Your Views

Toddler’s eyes get accidently glued shut when nursery worker did her nails while holding him




Image source: Metro/TriangleNews

A kindergarten staff member sprinkled glue into a child’s eye while fixing her fake manicure.

Poor Jack Culverhouse was left in tears after the disturbing incident at the First Steps Day Nursery in Skipton, North Yorkshire.

The images show the one-year-old’s face all swollen and red, with even the lashes coming together.

At first, her mother, Aimee, thought it was vinyl glue used for crafts, but when she got to the hospital it turned out to be glue used to glue acrylic nails.

According to a nursery school spokesperson, the incident occurred when a worker tried to nail her false nail with Jack in her arms.

“I got a phone call saying Jack had glue in his eye. At first, with it being a nursery, I thought it was PVA glue, but when I got to Airedale Hospital I found out it was nail glue, ”the 18-year-old mother said, reported Mirror.

According to Mirror, she said: “his sight won’t be affected but I think he’s traumatised. He used to sleep through the night perfectly and now he’s just scared”.

Miraculously, Jack closed his eyelids instantly and the glue didn’t dent his eyeball.

The boy had been in daycare three days a week for seven months and his mother was happy with his progress.

But Aimee now plans to sue after the September 23 incident.

She said: ‘At the hospital I was told he reached up on a counter and knocked it on him but then I had a meeting with the nursery the week after and was told that one of their staff members went to go and pick him up and this lass had some nail glue in her hand. Apparently her nail had broken and she went to pick up my son and splashed the glue in his eye”, reported Mirror.

The nursery has carried out an investigation into the incident, insisting that it is an “isolated case”.

The staff member involved was also immediately suspended from work and subsequently fired.

According to Mirror, a First Steps statement added: “We acted immediately when the incident happened, with staff giving first aid and on paramedics’ advice when we phoned for an ambulance, we took the child to hospital for treatment.”

“We take the care and safety of all children in our daycare very seriously, it is our top priority,” they added, reported Mirror.

Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.

Share this story with a friend

Share this story

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page