Current Leaving Certificate format could be scrapped if one of Ireland’s newest political parties gets elected into Government – TheLiberal.ie – Our News, Your Views

Current Leaving Certificate format could be scrapped if one of Ireland’s newest political parties gets elected into Government




The current Leaving Certificate format could soon be abolished if one if Ireland’s newly formed political parties has their way and gets elected into government in the spring.

It is understood that Lucinda Creighton’s Renua Ireland, will completely scrap the states current second level exam and replace it with what they describe as a practical equivalent. Renua say they would completely restructure the Leaving Cert so that exams would only account for a mere 30% of marks, with the remaining 70% coming from apprentice-based achievements.

It is believed students would instead work in dedicated fields such as tourism, metalwork, design and agriculture and then would be graded on their performance in a workplace environment.

Ms Creighton has said she believes the current Leaving certificate is outdated and that it is not fit for purpose. “It does not teach the skills that are necessary for success in a modern economy. We will be failing our young adults if we decide, for convenience sake, not to reform this system.”

Share this story with a friend

Share this story

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page