Dublin family left heartbroken by death of 2-yr-girl from Strep A – TheLiberal.ie – Our News, Your Views

Dublin family left heartbroken by death of 2-yr-girl from Strep A




Image source: RTE

A mother of a two-year-old girl who passed away from Strep A at a Dublin hospital last year said her daughter was a healthy child.

Speaking on RTÉ News at One, Phoenix Graham-Hayden’s mother Lauren Graham said the family had been devastated by the death of the “energetic, sassy” young gitrl, reports RTE.

A coroner yesterday recommended the introduction of an early warning system for all children with suspected infections in emergency departments.

Phoenix died on 3 November 2022 at Temple Street Children’s Hospital, 48 hours after she was originally sent home.

When Phoenix feels sick, Ms. Graham tries to make a doctor’s appointment for her, but she soon decides to take the child to the hospital.

“I expressed how I felt. I told them she was not well, told them that she was sick, and they discharged us,” she said, reports RTE.

Ms Graham said Phoenix had a high temperature, was ill and was not taking food.

“They tried to administer steroids, but she spit them back out. Her throat was too sore to take them,” she said, reports RTE.

At this point, Miss Graham said she was told it was a viral infection.

“She had a sore throat and inflamed ears, but they just said it was a viral infection. Take Calpol, Nurofen and discharge. She would not take Nurofen for us, but it was a struggle trying to get the Calpol in. I knew she was not well,” she said, reports RTE.

“She was not getting any better because there was no medicine actually provided it was, as we were told, viral and just Calpol is all we were given,” Ms Graham added, reports RTE.

Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.

Share this story

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page