The Director General of the HSE Tony O’Brien has said he will not resign from his position in wake of the current CervicalCheck scandal.
Mr O’Brien who is scheduled to leave his current role in 12 weeks time, said he would not leave his role early, but he will instead dedicate his remaining time addressing the current issues and failures caused by the scandal.
The Director General who also said the sacandal came as personal blow to himself, told an Oireachtas Committee that a planned review was needed in order to find out whether or not laboratories were operating within internationally accepted norms.
Mr O’Brien’s comments come in a week when it was revealed that a significant number of cases weren’t included in the CervicalCheck audit.
It was revealed late on Tuesday evening by the Minister for Health Simon Harris that more women could be affected by the scandal which previously uncovered that 208 women were caught up in the controversay.