An Irish woman has been seriously injured after her hair got stuck in a conveyor belt on an Australian farm. Fundraising has begun for Annie Dunne who is recovering in a Sydney hospital.
The incident took place last week and is believed to have occurred on the farm that the Tipperary native was working on fulfil the 89 days of regional work required to extend her working holiday visa for a second year.
Annie’s parents, who live in Kilkeary north of Nenagh, have flown over to Australia to be with their daughter.
“[They] would be well known in the area and would be well regarded,” said someone close to the family. Everyone was shocked to hear the news and we’re all hoping that their daughter makes a quick recovery.”
A fundraising campaign has been launched to raise money for Annie’s recovery as well as to help cover the costs of her parents staying in Australia. So far more than AU$19,500 (€13,000) has been raised. For those interested in donating, visit her ‘My Cause’ page here.