A man in the UK has died after the e-cigarette he was smoking exploded into flames, it is understood the flames from the explosion then ignited oxygen equipment he was using at the time.
The man (62) was found dead in the living room of a property on Penkett Road in Wallasey, Merseyside. Although its not yet known the exact cause of death, firefighters have said that the subsequent fire was caused by an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom it is believed to have exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupiant.
Firefighters also said that there was a small amount of smoke damage to the property, although the small fire in the bedroom had been extinguished by the time we had arrived.
An inquest will be held to determine the cause of the man’s death. Area manager Myles Platt from MFRS, made a statement in which he said: “The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.
He went on to say: “We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes. “Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source.
“We understand the impact tragic incidents such as these can have on families and the wider community. Firefighters will be carrying out community reassurance visits and highlighting home fire safety in the area.”
I charge my phone directly from the cooker socket. You would think that I’d learn after burning down 3 houses this way 😛