Police searching for Madeleine McCann will start searching a remote Portugal reservoir this morning – TheLiberal.ie – Our News, Your Views

Police searching for Madeleine McCann will start searching a remote Portugal reservoir this morning




German police searching for the body of Madeleine McCann are about to launch a full-scale search of a remote reservoir in the Algarve that was earlier visited by suspect Cristian Brueckner, reports The Mirror.

Portuguese police are expected to soon begin blocking roads leading to the artificial dam near the town of Silves before the search officially begins tomorrow.

Scotland Yard detectives are believed to have travelled to the area, but only on a “watching brief,” reports The Mirror.

The search should last at least two days and more if something relevant is found.

It will be the first major operation of its kind since June 2014, when British police were given permission to dig in Praia da Luz, using sniffer dogs trained to find bodies and ground-penetrating radar.

This time, experienced divers will explore the murky depths of the dam, but there will also be excavations in waterside forests.

The area searched is the Barragem do Arade reservoir near Silves, where a truck driver said he saw a woman holding a child like Madeleine McCann to a man two days after she left her holiday home on May 3, 2007 disappeared in Praia da Luz.

It was searched twice in February and March 2008 by divers hired by a Portuguese lawyer.

Marcos Aragao Correia organized the privately funded operation after he claimed to have been told by underworld contacts that Madeleine had been murdered within 48 hours of her disappearance and her body dumped in the reservoir.

The second search turned up two bags of small bones, after divers had previously recovered several pieces of string, several plastic ties and one white cotton sock.

Portuguese police were alerted after the discovery, but ruled out the possibility that the bones were human due to their size.

Madeleine’s parents Gerry and Kate McCann previously said there was no evidence linking their daughter to the reservoir, reports The Mirror.

It is understood that no search has been carried out since March 2008 as part of the ongoing investigation she underwent, reports The Mirror.

Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.

Share this story with a friend

Share this story

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page