The former Minister for Agriculture Barry Cowen has said that he is shocked and disappointed by the Taoiseach’s decision to sack.
In a statement released in a series of tweets, Mr Cowen said: “The Taoiseach informed me this evening by phone that he was removing me from office as Minister for Agriculture.”
“I am both surprised and disappointed with this decision.”
“Previously I furnished the Taoiseach with all the facts about my drink driving conviction and the story that the Sunday Times proposed to publish about my alleged evasion of a Garda checkpoint”
“In doing so I provided him with confidential details about my interaction with An Garda Siochana.”
“I have made my position on these matters known publicly and I have acknowledged my wrong doing for something that occurred four years ago.”
“The authorities have agreed to investigate the matter.”
“One point warrants emphasis: at no time did I attempt to evade the Gardaí.”
“Had I done so, the charges brought against me would, quite correctly, have been of a different tenor to those with which I was charged.”
“Ten days ago and this afternoon the Taoiseach believed my failure of 2016 didn’t warrant my removal from office but he now appears to have changed his mind based on a Pulse report I gave him this morning.”
“It is important to re-emphasise that the report was leaked in contravention of the protections that I and every other citizen is entitled to expect in respect of their interaction with the Gardaí.”
“Unfortunately the decision of the Taoiseach to remove me from office, when he supported me this afternoon in the Dail, has undermined and potentially prejudiced my entitlement to fair process.”
Cowen’s comments come after a decision was made late on Tuesday evening that saw him being sacked after just 18 days in office.
Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends