A blaze that started in a wheelie bin outside the well known Dublin landmark has caused over €100,000 worth of damage to the theatre.
According to theatre manager Alan McQuillan, the fire was started deliberately three weeks ago by a homeless person.
The flames didn’t actually penetrate the inside of the theatre, but smoke did, triggering the sprinkler system. This caused a lot of water damage to the main stage, and the orchestra pit.
The Gaiety will close for at least a week to carry out repairs.