Tributes have been paid to a 14-year-old girl who died after inhaling an aerosol substance she took after seeing a similar move on social media platform TikTok, reports RTE.
Sarah Mescall, from Kilnamona, was a second year student at Coleste Muir in Ennis, Co. Clare.
Sarah, who was one of three siblings, fell ill last Friday and was taken to Children’s Health Ireland (CHI) in Crumlin, Dublin, where she died on Monday.
Coláiste Muire principal Jean Pound said Sarah’s classmates, school friends and teachers were deeply saddened by her death and their thoughts and prayers were with her family.
The principal added that she would be greatly missed by her friends and the entire school community.
Coláiste Muire has launched a critical counselling and support service to help students and teachers affected by the death.
Today, the school organised a mass to honour Sarah’s memory and support her classmates and friends.
Gardai have confirmed they are gathering information about the death and are focusing on preparing an investigation file for the coroner.
The coroner may decide to open an inquest after confirming the cause of death.
A spokesperson for TikTok said: “Our deepest sympathies are with the family experiencing this tragic loss. Content of this nature is prohibited on our platform and would be removed if found. We will continue to prioritise protecting and supporting our community, working with expert partners and providing safety resources to those who need them.”
The Oireachtas Committee on Media raised Sarah’s death as the committee met this afternoon.
Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.