Children’s Minister Roderick O’Gorman said measures were being introduced in the coming days to ensure asylum seekers left without state-provided accommodation do not sleep rough, reports RTE.
Speaking in Dublin, the minister reiterated that the country would seek international protection “for everyone seeking international protection in the next number of days”.
On Friday evening, his department warned that this could happen over the weekend, but O’Gorman said that “everyone who sought accommodation yesterday, Saturday, was accommodated” and that he was still awaiting information from officials on the situation today, reports RTE.
O’Gorman said the state “run out of accommodation” as predicted they were “putting in place targetted measures where we can identify those who are sleeping rough and end that”.
Late last month, the number of applicants for international protection using state-provided accommodation, including emergency housing and tents, exceeded 26,000 for the first time, reports RTE.
Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.