Teenager charged with beating tourist in Temple Bar gets his bail revoked – TheLiberal.ie – Our News, Your Views

Teenager charged with beating tourist in Temple Bar gets his bail revoked

Image source: Google Maps

A teenager accused of robbing and assaulting several English tourists in Dublin earlier this month has been released on bail and remanded in custody, reports RTE.

The 16-year-old appeared in court last week and was released on bail under stringent conditions, including a 9pm-8am curfew and an order to stay out of the Dublin 2 area.

He appeared at Dublin Children’s Court this morning, where he was told that he had returned to the same place yesterday afternoon but had run over an elderly woman and injured a garda inspector while fleeing from gardai officers who knew he was barred from entering that part of the city.

The defendant, who cannot be identified as he is a minor, was charged with causing harm to two people and robbing a third in Fawns Street on the night of August 11.

The men are members of St John’s Sports amateur football club from Aylesbury, England, who travelled to Dublin for a pre-season friendly against St Kevin’s FC in Whitehall, Dublin, reports RTE.

Gardaí Derek Brierton and the teen’s case manager, Sergeant Tom Murphy, gave the court today an update on the boy’s bail compliance.

Sergeant Murphy said the terms were placed because the incident was an unprovoked attack, but the teenager broke curfew once. He added that the boy had also been seen in the temple bar “in disguise”.

Garda Brierton claimed the boy had been sighted near Fawnes Street and “in the process of running knocked over an elderly lady”, then ran into a Garda inspector who was suffering from a dislocated shoulder, reports RTE.

The boy’s lawyer, Luke Staines, said the teenager claimed he took a shortcut to the gym. However, the court found that he could have used another route.

Staines pleaded that his client, who was in court with his father, be given a “last chance saloon” a chance to comply with the order.

Judge Alan Mitchell lifted the bail and handed over the teenager to the Obertown Children’s Jail pending the next hearing on Friday, reports RTE.

Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.

Share this story with a friend

Share this story

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page