Gardai have arrested a woman on suspicion of making a false allegation that a gang of foreign men tried to sexually assault her.
The Irish Mirror has confirmed that the woman was arrested following an investigation into claims a group of migrants tried to sexually assault her in Dungarvan last month.
It was alleged on social media that the attack had been attempted in the street and that a resident of a nearby house had intervened after hearing screams.
There have since also been claims of a similar alleged incident in the area – but Gardai said they were only investigating an alleged attempted attack.
Now, The Irish Mirror has confirmed that Gardai do not believe the attempted attack actually took place and detectives have now arrested the woman who made the allegations.
Sources say she first told a relative about the alleged assault and later made a complaint to the Gardai – who launched a major investigation. Gardaí made inquiries and sources say they could not find evidence to support the claim.
The woman was later arrested on suspicion of making a false claim to Gardaí, reports The Irish Mirror.
This is an offense under section 12 of the Criminal Law Act of 1976 – and carries a maximum jail term of five years if convicted.
A Garda spokesperson told The Irish Mirror: “Gardaí continue to investigate all the circumstances of an alleged attempted assault that is reported to have occurred on Sunday 19th February 2023 in Dungarvan, County Waterford. As part of that investigation, investigating Gardaí have arrested a female for an offence contrary to Section 12 of the Criminal Law Act 1976.”
The file will be sent to the DPP’s office soon and then it will be decided who will be prosecuted.
Meanwhile, Gardaí have confirmed that they are not investigating any other similar alleged attacks in Dungarvan – and are not aware of any other attacks.
It follows claims that two schoolgirls were contacted in Dungarvan following the alleged incident with the woman.
And the force also said large amounts of fake news were circulating – and reminded people they are the only body responsible for law and order in Ireland.
A Garda spokesman said: “An Garda Síochána does not comment on third party material posted online. An Garda Síochána in Dungarvan is not investigating any other similar alleged assaults at this time nor are Gardaí aware of any alleged spate of attacks by foreign nationals as suggested,” reports The Irish Mirror.
Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.