Taoiseach Leo Varadkar condemned violence and opportunism following a confrontation at an asylum seeker camp in Dublin on Friday.
According to the Irish Examiner, Varadkar condemned the violence “unreservedly”.
“It is malign opportunity,” he said, reports Breaking News.
“A tiny minority of people are clearly determined to make capital out of a difficult situation. The Gardaí are carrying out an investigation. We cannot tolerate actions such as this,” he said, reports Breaking News.
Justice Secretary Simon Harris also tweeted: “Utterly appalling & unacceptable scenes in Sandwith Street last night. Everyone in thus country has a right to be safe. The right to protest is never a right to endanger or intimidate,” reports Breaking News.
It concerns a man who was arrested on Friday during a protest in Dublin where a refugee camp was demolished and later set on fire.
Makeshift tents had been set up in a pile used by homeless migrants.
A protest against the camp took place in the Sandwith Street area on Friday night, involving several groups, including counter-protesters.
Public order Gardai took part in the demonstrations, reports Breaking News.
A man in his 30s was arrested under the Public Order Act and will appear before Dublin District Court this month.
Pallets of wood and other materials from the warehouse were later set alight on the side, but gardaí said no one was present at the time and no one was injured, reports Breaking News.
Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.