The new investigation into the deaths of 48 people in the Stardust nightclub fire in Dublin more than 40 years ago begins April 19.
The start date was confirmed to the families of the victims of the fire at the 17th hearing of the inquiry, held this afternoon.
Chief Medical Examiner of County Dublin, Dr. Myra Cullinane also announced that a judging panel would be inaugurated two days earlier on April 17th.
Another pre-inquest hearing is scheduled for February 8 to finalize details before the investigation begins.
The fire occurred at Artane’s Stardust Ballroom in the early hours of February 14, 1981, during a Valentine’s Day disco.
After today’s hearing, Antoinette Keegan, who lost her sisters Mary and Martina in the fire, said she was shocked because the families “didn’t expect a date to be confirmed today”, reports RTE.
Describing this as a positive development, Keegan said the families “can now move forward”, reports RTE.
In 2019, the then federal prosecutor’s office ordered a new investigation into the deaths of the 48 victims.
In a previous preliminary hearing, Dr. Cullinane that more than 300 witnesses were listed who would be called to testify.
Ms Keegan said a candlelight vigil would be held on February 11 to mark the 42nd anniversary of the fire.
Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.