A Michigan teenager has pleaded guilty to murder and terrorism charges in a mass shooting last November that killed four of his classmates and wounded several more at a high school outside Detroit.
Ethan Crumbley, 16, is accused of opening fire at Oxford High School on November 30 with a semi-automatic pistol his father bought him as a Christmas present a few days before the massacre.
Two boys, aged 17 and 16, and two girls, aged 17 and 14, were killed, while six other students and a teacher were injured.
Crumbley, who was 15 at the time of the shooting, pleaded guilty in Oakland County Circuit Court to a total of 24 counts, including one count of terrorism resulting in death and four counts of first-degree murder.
He was also charged with seven counts of assault with intent to murder and 12 counts of felony possession of a firearm.
Oakland County Chief Prosecutor David Williams said in a statement Friday that there were no plea negotiations, reductions or sentencing agreements in the case.
Earlier this year, Crumbley’s attorneys said in a court notice that he would mount an insanity defense.
Crumbley’s parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, also face manslaughter charges related to the shooting.
In that case, Rochester District Court Judge Julie Nicholson said evidence showed they had purchased a gun for her son despite signs that he was a “troubled youth.”
The case appears to be the first in the United States in which the parents of a teenager who shot up a school have been charged with crimes attributed to their son. They pleaded not guilty.
Four days before the shooting, Ethan Crumbley accompanied his father to a gun store, where James Crumbley bought a 9mm pistol, prosecutors said.
Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.