A 22-year-old was rushed to Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown after being bitten by a puff adder snake.
Medical authorities had to request a dose of anti-venom from the National Reptile Zoo in Co Kilkenny, the only location in the country where anti-venom is stocked. The venom of a puff snake is potent enough to kill a human in a matter of hours if left untreated.
It is understood that the snake in question is kept as a pet.
This is the first recorded case of poisonous snakebite in Ireland.
Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.