Tragic: Two-yr-old girl dies after swallowing a watch battery on December 27th – – Our News, Your Views

Tragic: Two-yr-old girl dies after swallowing a watch battery on December 27th


A two-year-old girl has died after she swallowed a small watch battery.  Little Brianna Florer was rushed to hospital on December 27th after she began to vomit and turned blue. The little girl had unfortunately swallowed a watch battery that was hanging around the house.

An x-ray revealed that the swallowed battery had begun to leak poisonous acid.

Brianna’s grandfather, Kent Vice, said that his granddaughter had not been feeling well for a number of days and had registered a low fever.

‘They operated on her for two hours, but they could not stop the bleeding,’ he said. ‘They believe the battery ate through her carotid artery by way of her esophagus’.

 ‘One minute she was perfect the next minute she is dead, we had no idea when she swallowed it’

Doctors believe the toddler had ingested the object within six days of her death. An autopsy is said to be months away from determining the exact cause of death.

Although experts say that ingested batteries will often pass out of the system before causing harm. Rare fatal cases occur when the battery gets stuck and secretes an Alkaline substance.

Between 2005 and 2014 it is reported that over 11940 children have swallowed batteries, of those, only 15 children died, according to the National Capitol poison center.

The Florer family released the story to the public to try and prevent another family going through the same tragedy.
Share this story with a friend

Share this story

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page