The family of Singer Tom Petty officially confirm the star sadly died as a result of an accidental overdose – TheLiberal.ie – Our News, Your Views

The family of Singer Tom Petty officially confirm the star sadly died as a result of an accidental overdose

Image Source: Reuters

The family of the recently deceased singer Tom Petty have sadly revealed that the “Won’t back down” singer died as a result of an accidental overdose.

In a statement posted on the star’s official Facebook page the former heartbreakers singer’s wife Dana and daughter Adria officially confirmed the cause of his death.

Petty 66, who was tragically found dead at his Malibu home last October, had been taking a prescribed painkiller called Fentanyl before his death.

In the statement Petty’s family said the following: “Tom sadly passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications.”

“Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip.”

“Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.”

“On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.”

Petty led a glittering career that seen him perform with a whole host of stars including Bob Dylan, whilst the renowned singer also had a number of hits that dominated the charts including American Girl, Breakdown, Free Fallin’, Learning to Fly and Refugee.

Share this story

Get the latest news from TheLiberal.ie via Facebook.
Just click Like

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page