Fox News Media and Tucker Carlson have agreed to part ways, the outlet said in a statement less than a week after Fox News and parent company Fox Corp filed a $787.5 million defamation lawsuit filed by Dominion Voting Systems, reports RTE.
The settlement avoided a lawsuit against one of the world’s leading news outlets for its coverage of false allegations of voter fraud in the 2020 US election.
Carlson was to testify at the Dominion trial. Dominion had claimed that the statements made on Mr. Carlson’s show after the 2020 election were defamatory and that the messages between Mr. Carlson and his team were proof that he and his team knew the lie of the claims that the Ballot-counting machines at the Denver Dominion were used to rig the election in favor of Democrat Joe Biden.
Carlson’s last show was on April 21, the company said in a statement.
It said that starting tonight, “Fox News Tonight” will air live as an in-between show, led by rotating Fox News personalities until a new anchor is named.
“Tucker Carlson Tonight” was one of Fox News’ highest-rated primetime shows, consistently drawing more than three million viewers each night. Fox is America’s most-watched cable news channel.
After announcing Carlson’s departure from Fox News, a spokesperson for former US President Donald Trump tweeted, “Fox News is controlled opposition.” Trump gave Carlson an interview earlier this month that aired on Fox News, reports RTE.
Fox Corp shares fell 5% after the announcement.
Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.