Dublin man spent six weeks in hospital after homeless thug beat him up when he came to woman’s aid, court hears – TheLiberal.ie – Our News, Your Views

Dublin man spent six weeks in hospital after homeless thug beat him up when he came to woman’s aid, court hears

A man spent six weeks in hospital after being assaulted outside the GPO in central Dublin two years ago, a court has heard, reports Breaking News.

The Dublin Circuit Coroner was told the man had no recollection of the attack. He required a period of intensive care, and doctors concluded that he had suffered a cerebral haemorrhage.

In the victim’s statement, read out in court, the victim said the attack had “turned upside down”. He also suffers from memory loss and has difficulty reading and writing.

Andrew Byrne, 37, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to assault causing damage on 26 January 2021 in Lower O’Connell Street.

The court heard that the victim intervened after seeing Byrne shouting at others and becoming violent towards her partner, reports Breaking News.

Garda investigator Ronan Prendergast told BL’s prosecutor that witnesses told Garda they heard Byrne screaming and being aggressive towards his partner before the attack.

One said he heard Byrne yelling “you b*tch” and “you sh*t”. He was heard to say, “Come on, or I’ll hit you.” He replied that he was “making a show of us”, reports Breaking News.

Byron said at the time, “he could do as he liked” as it was “his town”. The victim approached Byrne and said, “Not to speak to women in that manner”.

Closed-circuit television footage was played in court and a medical report was submitted, which determined that the victim would have long-term problems due to his injuries.

Gardaí located Byrne nearby and arrested him. He was questioned four times and told the gardaí that he was acting in self-defence.

Mr Le Vert said his client apologised to the victim and the police. A letter of apology was also sent to the court.

The defense attorney suggested it was a “one punch offence” and that Byron had not used the gun or made further contact with the victim.

Mr Le Vert said his client witnessed a friend being shot to death when he was 16 and it had a profound effect on him. Byrne began drinking and struggled with alcoholism and drug addiction.

While in custody, his client was a drug counsellor.

Byrne worked as a cleaner on the landing and gym. He lost his enhanced prisoner status but is working to regain it, the lawyer added.

The defence attorney said his client was actually homeless at the time of the crime and was going through a difficult time in his life.

A psychiatric opinion, a letter from a drug adviser, certificates and an opinion from the voivode were submitted to the court.

Mr Le Vert said his client worked as a roofer and forklift driver.

Judge Codd said the aggravating features included the victim’s trauma and its impact on his life.

The judge noted that Byrne was on bail at the time and had relevant previous convictions.

Tell us your thoughts in the Facebook post and share this with your friends.

Share this story with a friend

Share this story

Tell us what you think on our Facebook page